January 9, 2015

Blessed By a Cardinal

 
 
 
 
 
Blessed By a Cardinal

By George Thurlow

 
 
Today I sinned against my Lord;
I confessed on bended knees.
I knew according to His Word
My sins were forgiven me.

But yet my heart was heavy
That so easily I could sin
And grieve the Holy Spirit
By not yielding unto Him.

All day I felt so sorrowful
For my Lord I had betrayed,
When I could have had the victory
If in the Spirit I had stayed.

But my Father reassured me
In a personal kind of way;
He sent a special message
Later on that day.

Gazing out my kitchen window
I caught a brilliant glow,
A beautiful crimson cardinal
Foraging in the snow.

I knew the Master sent it
As a loving gift,
To reaffirm our fellowship
And give my heart a lift.

The scarlet stains upon this bird
Spoke to me of Christ's shed Blood
Flowing down the cross at Calvary
In a crimson cleansing flood.

And the pureness of the wintry ground
To my grieving heart did show
Though my sins were once as scarlet
Through Christ made white as snow.