January 31, 2015

A Gift For Father




A Gift For Father

By George Thurlow


I was talking to the Lord one day
When tears welled in my eyes,
Thinking of all He had done for me
Wondering the reason why.

I am one of countless millions
So unworthy of His love,
But even then He knew me
And willingly shed His Blood.

I thought to myself, what can I do?
For I can never repay
Such a blessed sacrifice
That could wash my sins away.

By lighting a single candle,
Can I increase the sun's bright glow?
And through a single tear drop
Add to the river's flow?

What could I ever give Him
That would bring delight and thrill,
When He is owner of all the cattle
On a thousand hills?

I felt so sad and helpless
For I loved the Savior so,
And I wanted to give Him something --
My appreciation show.

But my Lord looked down upon me
With a Father's loving smile,
Drew His arms around me...
Said, "Listen, my precious child;

What would make me happy?
Just give My love away
To everyone encountered,
Each and every day.

Tell others of My saving grace --
All those who do not know.
Bear witness by all you do and say
And loving kindness show.

When you see a brother struggling,
Stand beside him all the way.
When your sister is discouraged,
Have encouraging words to say.

Do kind deeds for everyone,
Even those who treat you bad.
If you want to please Me,
These are the things that make Me Glad.

The gift that gives Me great delight
Is when you're down upon your knees,
And you set aside all earthly things
To spend that time with Me.

You say there is something special
For Me you would like to do?
Well, there is only one gift I'm seeking
My Son... that's more of you!"