June 27, 2015

Musings And Fellowship at Goosefare Brook

 


 
Musings And Fellowship At Goosefare Brook
By George Thurlow
 
Lord, thank you for this beautiful gift
This lovely early morn;
The elegance of the Canada geese
Sun-enhanced with graceful forms:
 
Feeding along the river bank,
Just paddling along;
I wonder if they too like me
In spirit are singing songs?
 
And I can not help but notice
There are twelve of them.
It reminds me of your disciples
You converted to fishers of men.
 
And these geese require for survival
Nutrients from the tide,
Near the streams of living water
They must continually abide.
 
And I know how true for us Christians too,
The source of our strength and power,
Is from your ever flowing fountain
 And your torrents of heavenly showers.
 
I must plunge into this living stream
To be nourished and fed of God:
Into Ezekiel's river*
Away from the barren sod.
 
Then like these feathered creatures
I too will take to flight;
Endued with strength and power
I will soar to greater heights.
 
 
I enjoy my morning fellowship with the Lord and the lessons and thoughts the Holy Spirit puts in my spirit. One morning while enjoying His awesome presence, His beautiful creation and the reading of His Word at Goosefare Brook (Old Orchard Beach, Maine)  the Holy Spirit gave me these thoughts and this resulting poem.

 
*Ezekiel 47:3-5 
And when the man that had the line in his hand went forth eastward, he measured a thousand cubits, and he brought me through the waters; the waters were to the ankles.
Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through the waters; the waters were to the knees. Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through; the waters were to the loins.
Afterward he measured a thousand; and it was a river that I could not pass over: for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over.
 John 4:14
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.