July 25, 2015

Seed Faith

 
 
Seed Faith
By George Thurlow
 
Today I planted a tiny seed
Expecting it to sprout.
I carefully covered it with rich dark soil;
The seed would grow no doubt.
 
Every day I checked that spot
In hope that I would see,
A green shoot poking through the earth
Peering back up at me.
 
The days passed on and no growth was seen;
My hope began to fade.
Did I not plant a fertile seed?
Something's wrong I'm afraid.
 
Then clouds of doubt began to sprout
For a shoot there was no trace.
But underground it all was well
For a miracle was taking place.
 
But in my haste and impatience
I began poking all around;
Looking for some evidence
Of growth there underground.
 
Then I disturbed the fragile roots
And the new life in the soil.
All because of unbelief
A miracle I had foiled.
 
Then Jesus gave me insight
How this is like my faith:
That often when I'm praying
I grow impatient in the wait.
 
When all along the answer
Was about to come breaking through.
If only I had persisted,
Remained steadfast and true.
 
For faith is not based on evidence
Of those things that I can see,
But it holds on to the promises
That Christ has promised me.
 
For faith is much like sowing
And God's Word is the seed.
 You can be sure to reap a harvest
God is so faithful indeed.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.